The secret to success in sports psychology and coaching is as a coach you are able to instil in your client that he should have focus. Yes, an athlete should have talent and skill but without focus than he may not be able to reach his goals. Focus is a quality that should be acquired by every athlete if he wants to be a winner. Focus allows every athlete to concentrate on the goal he has to reach and pushes him to reach his full potential. In a sports psychology and coaching business, coaches educate their clients with different methods of how they can keep their focus to produce winners.
As a coach in a sports psychology and coaching business, you must realize that your focus should be on focus itself. You should be able to help your client cultivate and develop his focus for him to be the athlete that he wants to be. To fully understand how focused one should be, here is an example of what I mean. Let us say that you are up for bat, and you hear 10,000 fans screaming your name. You will need to shut this out and focus. Focus on the pitcher and the ball. With total focus, chances are you will hit that ball and hopefully score a homerun.
5 Tips to develop your Focus
- Free your mind. An athlete must develop the skill to free his mind of any distractions. He must be able to concentrate on the game and not be distracted by other thoughts that have nothing to do with his goal to win. Sports psychologists and sports coaches have developed mind relaxation techniques to develop one's focus.
- Organize your thoughts quickly during the game. As an athlete your ability to analyze the game step by step allows you to plan your action as the game progresses.
- Concentration. The ability to focus also comes hand in hand with concentrating on your tasks at hand.
- Understand. Your understanding of who you are and what you can do is important in your quest to greatness.
- Strength. The strength that I am talking about is not physical strength but mental strength. An athlete must be able to put his problems or other distracting thoughts behind him when it is needed.